Man Arrested for Sex Attack in Local Park

3

A 25-year-old man has been arrested in connection to a recent sexual assault in a Southampton park during the early hours of Tuesday morning.

Palmerston Park near Southampton City Centre

The 19-year-old female victim was rugby tackled and sexually assaulted in nearby bushes as she made her way home from a night out in the area on Tuesday 29th May. The incident took place in Palmerston Park, a popular green area in the city.

Officers have confirmed that a second attack took place early this morning in the Bedford Place area, a popular venue for students.

These attacks have come just days after a 24-year-old woman was sexually assaulted near Mount Pleasant Road during the early hours of the morning on Sunday 27th May, by a man she had met that evening in the Dungeon Nightclub in Bevois Valley. A 23-year-old man is currently on bail for this incident as further enquiries are made.

Anybody with information should contact Southampton Police Station on 101 as soon as possible.

Good to see an arrest was made.

Not putting any blame upon the victims, people should always of course try to take precautions to be safe, and not put themsleves in a situation where they are exposed to undue risk (eg use night buses or the taxi scheme, try not to be out TOO late, do not walk home alone, do not have too much to drink, or walk through or adjacent to unlit areas or parks on your own) and be reassured that Portswood does not in the main have unduly high crime rates compared to the national average and to other areas where large numbers of students socialise late at night.

See this excellent article by Alice Gray:

http://www.wessexscene.co.uk/features/2012/05/30/in-terms-of-crime-levels-just-how-bad-is-portswood-really/