Two Men Arrested In Crackdown on Drugs and Drugs Related Violence

0

Police officers detained two men from Southampton following allegations about drug activity at an address on Cranbury Terrace.

One man was 21 years old and is being questioned on suspicion of blackmail and the supply of class A drugs and the other is 31 and is being held on suspicion of conspiracy to supply class A drugs.

These most recent arrests come after another successful raid made on Thursday this week in which 5 people were arrested at Hill Farm Lane, for full details click here. Both sets of arrests were made as part of Operation Fortress, a two-year campaign and multi-agency strategy aimed at reducing harm to the communities of Southampton funded by the Hampshire Police Authority. This strategy also aims to reduce the serious violence caused by individuals and groups involved in drug trafficking.

Operation Fortress is of great significance as it is one of the biggest stand alone projects ever to be launched by the force with a 31-strong dedicated team of officers and staff working on it. It has seen 14 arrests made since its launch on May 3oth this year.

DS James McMann from the Operation Fortress investigation team said: “These latest arrests are part of our plan to make Southampton and the surrounding areas a hostile place for people dealing in drugs like heroin and crack cocaine.

“We want to make life very unpleasant for anyone intent on bringing drugs and violence to our city.

“Both men were arrested following information that came into the Operation Fortress team about the supply of drugs.”

If you are concerned about the use or supply of drugs or drug-related violence in Southampton or have any information at all we urge you to get in contact with the police: operation.fortress@hampshire.pnn.police.uk or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111

I come from South West London and am studying English at Southampton. I am interested in journalism and considering it as a career after my degree. I have interests in Sports and Music and have written for a sports magazine called Sportsister before. I am keen to get involved in as much as possible whilst at Uni and writing about my experiences could be a very rewarding thing. :)