Your London 2012 #1

0

The Wessex Scene asked our readers to get in touch to let us know how you have been celebrating London 2012 and Team GB’s many successes, here’s the first of a series of articles with contributions from David Tully and Kate Williams.

David Tully has noticed Olympic themes finding their way onto products in his local Morrisons.

‘Like much of the country, my area is in a state of complete Olympic fever. Even the bakers at our local branch of Morrisons have got in on the act! Our house has been no exception to this – one of the many Olympics channels has been on more or less solidly from the first moment of the brilliant opening ceremony and I don’t see any sign of this stopping.’

Every person who has watched the Olympics over the past week will have their own favourite memories of these games, David is no exception.

My personal favourite events have, as usual, been the swimming and the diving. The thing that I’ve enjoyed most about these games so far though has been the unexpected medals that have been won and the joy they’ve brought to their winners such as Rebecca Adlington (and in the case of the mens’ team gymnastics, also to the excellent commentators!).

But like every sporting event there are some moments when things don’t quite go the way they should.

The only part of the Olympics I haven’t enjoyed so far was Mark Cavendish snapping at journalists after failing to medal in the mens’ cycling road race. This games has featured some spectacularly gracious losers (such as judo’s Euan Burton or swimmer Liam Tancock) so to see him snapping ‘Stop asking stupid questions. Do you even know about cycling?’ to a BBC journalist before being pulled away by his team left me feeling no sympathy towards him whatsoever.

Kate Williams appears to be having a fantastic time as her first picture is of the Opening Ceremony rehearsal which ‘I was invited to under the Team London Ambassador Programme headed by Boris Johnson.’

Olympic Opening Ceremony rehearsal

Team London Ambassadors have volunteers dotted around London locations throughout the Olympic and Paralympic Games. These locations vary from Heathrow terminals, Waterloo, Trafalgar Square, Hyde Park and many more. I myself will be based at Fenchurch St Station (the one from the monopoly boardgame) at the latter half of the Paralympic Games.

We look forward to hearing how she gets on.

Kate has also sent in a photo ‘of myself and my friend Avani who I met at the Ealing volunteer centre for our module 1 training.’

We had just completed a Guinness World Record as part of the Team London Ambassadors, for the most people taking part in a Treasure Hunt (23rd June 2012), the photo is taken along the river in between City Hall and Tower Bridge.

On the day Kate and her team made a Guinness World Record she also took this photo of the rings at Tower Bridge before they were unveiled.

But that wasn’t all Kate has been up to because she then won tickets to the Olympic Basketball on Monday 30th July ‘through the SportsMaker Programme for completing 10 hours of SportsMaker activity.’

The SportsMaker programme is all about continuing the legacy of the Games and Sport in the UK by encouraging volunteers to inspire others to take part in sport and offer organised activities to make others more active.

Here’s a picture of Kate with her younger sister who is  ‘taller than me which is very annoying.’

Kate (on the left) and her younger sister (on the right) at the Basketball arena.

Kate also spotted this Union Jack ‘when I was working at a summer camp in the past 3 weeks. It is made of candle holders and is in a park in Bournemouth. Very patriotic and creative!’

What do you think of London 2012? Do you agree with David’s best and worst moments? If not, what have been yours so far? Have you been to any events, been working as a Games Maker or been cheering from your sofa? Get in touch, either by leaving a comment below or by sending your pictures and comments to editor@soton.ac.uk so you can feature in the next part of this ‘Your London 2012’ series.

The Wessex Scene would like to thank both David and Kate for their contributions, it looks like you are both enjoying your London 2012.

I come from South West London and am studying English at Southampton. I am interested in journalism and considering it as a career after my degree. I have interests in Sports and Music and have written for a sports magazine called Sportsister before. I am keen to get involved in as much as possible whilst at Uni and writing about my experiences could be a very rewarding thing. :)