UPDATED: SIFE Southampton through to World Cup Semi-Finals

1

The SIFE Southampton team have reached the Semi-Finals stage of the SIFE World Cup, which is being held in Washington DC this year.

The organisation also underwent a re-brand, and a new name was revealed during the first stages of the World Cup.

The team have worked tirelessly towards their presentation and projects, which led them to win the SIFE Nationals competition back in April this year for the second time in a row (as reported HERE)

The SIFE World Cup competition began officially on Sunday, September 30, with  the opening round competition held yesterday, October 1.

SIFE stands for Students In Free Enterprise, and gives those in higher education a chance to work with businesses to make a difference in a large variety of communities, whether they are local, or international. SIFE also enables students to learn new skills in leadership and teamwork amongst many more. It is entirely non-profit.

SIFE Southampton’s ‘Right Light’ project is one of the University’s 60 achievements that have been celebrated this year. other projects include EnterPRICE, Wisemind, and LearnENG – more details can be found on their website.

During the World Cup, SIFE has also been re-branded as ‘Enactus‘, which received a positive response from attendees of the event. The name change prompts a bid to expand the groups impact. Alvin Rohrs, CEO of Enactus (previously SIFE) said:

“We needed a name that reflected that uniqueness. Something that captured the entrepreneurial spirit that fuels everything we do. We were also eager to create a name that reflected how global this organization has become.”

The Semi-Finals will be held today at 13.35 GMT (8.35 local time) with the Finals being held at 18.30 GMT (13.30 local time). The event can be watched live online HERE.

Last year in Kuala Lumpur SIFE Southampton were knocked out at the first stage of the competition. They currently have 12 projects, with over 131 members, and have impacted thousands of people worldwide.

UPDATE:

After competing in League Two of the Semi-Finals, SIFE Southampton were pipped to the post by Zimbabwe, who went on to place fourth in the final round.

SIFE World Cup champions 2012 are the USA, represented by SIFE Belmont. Egypt received second place, whilst India came third.