Two Police Officers Arrested in Anti-Corruption Raid

1

Two Police officers have been arrested in anti-corruption raids which took place at several addresses in Southampton at 6am, Thursday 18th. 

One Police officer, a 28 year old woman, was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in a public office, perverting the course of justice and being concerned in the supply of class A drugs. This officer has been suspended.

Another officer, a 29 year old woman, was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in a public office. Internal misconduct proceedings are still ongoing for the officer. They remain in custody at this time.

Both women are serving police constables with Hampshire Constabulary based in Southampton.

Four men were also arrested in the raids, though these are not police officers.

A 28 year old man and a 22 year old man were arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice. A 32 year old was arrested on the same charge as well as being concerned in the supply of class A drugs, while a 26 year old man was also arrested on conspiracy to pervert the course of justice and being concerned in the supply of class B drugs. All those arrested are currently being interviewed by police on these charges.

The raids were a simultaneous operation at 6am on Thursday 18th October by the Hampshire Constabulary’s Anti-Corruption Unit. The team executed a number of warrants at addresses in Southampton, these being at Thornbury Avenue, King Edward Avenue, Wyndham Court, and Derby Road.

The addresses are spread across Southampton. Wyndham Court lies behind the Southampton Central Train station, Derby Road is close to the Royal South Hants Hospital, King Edward Avenue is near Shirley, and  Thornbury Avenue lies across the estuary from Southampton.

Detective Superintendent Colin Smith, head of the force’s Professional Standards Department said:

Hampshire Constabulary upholds a policy of zero tolerance in relation to police corruption and will spare no efforts in investigating any allegations in order to maintain the integrity of the force and public confidence in the service we provide.

The investigation is being supervised by the Independent Police complaints commission.