Students Urged to Complete Housing Survey

0

Students are being encouraged to complete a Southampton City Council survey on housing.

The survey comes as part of the consultation on proposals to extend licensing of Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs) in Southampton. The full extent of the proposal can be seen here.

Student Housing of three or more occupants as a shared house, or bedsit, is classified by the council as HMOs, and so it is important to emphasise the need for a student voice to be heard in the consultation process.

The survey takes less than five minutes to complete, and asks for opinions on questions regarding the Most Complained about issues regarding HMOs, such as noise and litter, the person’s assessment of the proposals for extended licensing of HMO landlords, the role of the council in HMO regulation, and the overall performance and responsibilities of landlords.

They are carrying out this survey in order to improve poor living standards in HMOs, as well as the localities of the dwellings. Students can complete the survey online here.

To ensure that student views are adequately represented in the survey, it’s incredibly important that as many students as possible complete it. The consultation period closes on the 26th November.

As Southampton City holds both the University of Southampton, and Southampton Solent University, it has a correspondingly large number of HMOs.

According to the Consultation document:

The city has almost 100,000 homes of which a quarter are privately rented. It has been estimated that there are 7,000 Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs). This means that one int ten homes in the city (not owned by the Council) is an HMO. This is five times the national average.

High numbers of complaints about both the behaviour of tenants, the landlords, and the effect on the surrounding area are cited as reasons for the consultation.

The overall aim of the survey is that by letting the council know your unique student opinions, often living in HMOs, they will be able to improve the current HMO standards.

More information is available on the council’s website, in the HMO section. The council are also holding public consultation events in the local area. The dates for these events can also be found on the website. Additionally, paper surveys can be requested from the council.