- What in the World is this “Gender” Thing? A Non-Binary Perspective
- Why Asexual Awareness Week Is Important
- LGBT Network gains public presence on Facebook & plans LGBT History Month
- Malaysian Government Performing Seminars to Teach Parents and Teachers How to Spot Gay Kids
- Kill the Gays – A Fight Against Ugandan Oppression
- Brighton Pride Review
- Campaign started for a Southampton Pride event
- Two Gay Jamaicans Contest The Island’s Homophobic Laws
- Media Highlights Worrying Trend Of Gay Conversion Therapy
- Obama’s Promise for LGBT Equality Rivals Mitt Romney’s Shocking Policies
- Outraged Cardinal Keith O’Brien Wins Bigot Of The Year Award
- Homophobia in the UK?
- Shocking “Call Me Kuchu” Tells Ugandan LGBT’s Tragic Struggle For Safety
- Cameron gets his foot stuck in it, again
- America Approves of the LGBT Community
- Kill The Gays Bill to pass as ‘Christmas gift’ to Ugandans
- Sir Ian McKellen Stands Up Against Homophobic Bullying
- Uganda Drops Death Penalty From “Kill The Gays” Bill
- First Gay Mosque Of Europe Opens In Paris
- Same-sex Marriage To Become Legal In 2013
- Iowa Becomes The First Public University To Ask Applicants If They Are Gay
- BBC Report Shows Gay TV Characters Are Under Represented
- Amsterdam Celebrates Drag Queen Winter Olympics 2012
- 10 Overlooked LGBT News Stories of 2012
- Berlusconi Says Yes To Gay Marriage – But Will He Keep His Word?
- ‘Sugar Rush’ Writer’s Bigoted Transphobia Published
- Hampshire ‘Top Police Force 2013’ for LGB
- Gay Marriage Is A ‘Category Error’
- Private: The Gay Agenda Marches On
- Private: Same Sex Marriage Legalised for England and Wales
- Private: The Gay Best Friend Myth
- MPs in Uganda Pass Anti-Homosexual Bill
- The LGBT Pride Flag – Do we really need to include Black and Brown stripes for POC?
- Here’s (Nearly) Everything You Need to Know About the Australian Equal Marriage Vote
- Australia Backs Same-Sex Marriage
With the US elections fast approaching, Barack Obama has spoken out about his support for same sex marriage. He has openly rejected the current system of civil partnerships, citing these as singling out homosexuals from their heterosexual counterparts. But Mitt Romney’s views say otherwise.
In an interview with MTV, Obama publicly declared he was “opposed to the so-called Defence of Marriage Act,” claiming it contradicted itself as certain states which had initially agreed gay and heterosexual couples deserved the same rights, then refused to view their marriages equally. This inequality meant social security benefits became difficult to allocate and same-sex couples were still not being treated as they had been assured they would be.
Obama, who is currently campaigning to be re-elected for his second term as president, offers a democratic approach – significantly different to the views put forward by serious contender, Republican Mitt Romney.
Romney’s signing of the National Organisation for Marriage’s (NOM) pledge against gay rights in August 2011 is a clear indication of his views. He has even voiced his intentions to change the executive order, signed by Obama, which orders any hospital receiving government funding to recognise homosexual relationships. Romney’s view that being allowed to visit a seriously ill spouse is a “privilege” will, if accepted, lead to tragic cases such as that of Janice Langbehn. Whilst her terminally ill wife lay in Florida hospital, the shocking reason for her refused access was that their relationship was not seen as having equal status to that of a heterosexual couple.
It is clear that the US election brings intense debate, with such different perspectives on policies for LGBT rights flying around. A number of celebrities have expressed their support for Obama’s policies on gay rights, although bisexual Lindsay Lohan recently spoke publicly of her surprising intention to vote Romney.
Whatever happens in the next few weeks, let’s hope that we don’t see a serious regression for gay rights; especially considering the significantly long fight for progress in America to date.[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eEzSaQgbM6s[/youtube]