Southampton’s Stash-tastic Movember World Record Attempt

0

Students, young professionals, and long-time members of The Handlebar Club were among the hordes of hairy males who turned up to Southampton Guildhall Square on Friday to show off their Movember moustaches in attempt to beat a world record for ‘the most men with moustaches in one place’.

Southampton’s moustachioed men turned up for the Movember World Record Attempt
Photograph taken by Helen Kitley and Catherine Mitchell

The record, currently held at 1131 people, demands that each man sport a ‘tache of at least four centimetres wide and one centimetre high, with the average length of each hair at five millimetres or over’. Also, the men must all stay positioned in one place for ten minutes.

Members of The Handlebar Club showed their support.

Hundreds of men turned up to participate, with wide attendance from Southampton Solent students, who organised the event, as well as lots of members of the wider Southampton community. As pictured on the right, members of The Handlebar Club were in full force. A nationwide club formed in 1947,  it brings together men with ‘graspable extremities’ for sport, socialising and fundraising. They are currently raising money towards the Children’s Liver Disease Foundation. Passers-by gathered in amazement as crowds of moustachioed men congregated at the centre of Guildhall Square to be counted.

The men behind the moustaches:

Dedicated Handlebar Club member, Alan has had his impressive moustache for forty years: “My wife loves it – she says she’ll divorce me if I shave it off!”

Southampton resident, Richard, discovered that pink is the key to generosity. “I’d already raised £45 in sponsorship money, but when I showed up at work with it dyed pink I got another £300!”

Solent twins, Chris and Dan, have suitably identical moustaches: Dan says, “We just did it for a laugh really!”

Reception Manager, Rachel, has been fundraising with a fake moustache: “My whole family has been doing Movember in support of my Granddad.”

Nick and Dennis have taken time off work to take part. Dennis says, “I’d had a lazy moustache most of my life, but Kurt Russell in Tombstone inspired me to go the whole hog!”

The Fuzz: Police Constables Chris and Pete took part with moustaches of their own.

Unfortunately, the number of attendees only amounted to 494, but Stephanie Powell, VP Student Engagement at Solent, was delighted at the turnout: “I’ve been grinning like a Cheshire Cat,” she says. “I was not expecting this many people to turn up. And at the end of the day, it was about raising money for a great cause, which we certainly have done!”

Spectators and participants were all encouraged to donate towards Movember, which raises millions of pounds each year towards vital prostate and testicular cancer initiatives.

“We’ve received really positive feedback from everyone involved,” says Steph. “It’d be great to do this every year!”