- What in the World is this “Gender” Thing? A Non-Binary Perspective
- Why Asexual Awareness Week Is Important
- LGBT Network gains public presence on Facebook & plans LGBT History Month
- Malaysian Government Performing Seminars to Teach Parents and Teachers How to Spot Gay Kids
- Kill the Gays – A Fight Against Ugandan Oppression
- Brighton Pride Review
- Campaign started for a Southampton Pride event
- Two Gay Jamaicans Contest The Island’s Homophobic Laws
- Media Highlights Worrying Trend Of Gay Conversion Therapy
- Obama’s Promise for LGBT Equality Rivals Mitt Romney’s Shocking Policies
- Outraged Cardinal Keith O’Brien Wins Bigot Of The Year Award
- Homophobia in the UK?
- Shocking “Call Me Kuchu” Tells Ugandan LGBT’s Tragic Struggle For Safety
- Cameron gets his foot stuck in it, again
- America Approves of the LGBT Community
- Kill The Gays Bill to pass as ‘Christmas gift’ to Ugandans
- Sir Ian McKellen Stands Up Against Homophobic Bullying
- Uganda Drops Death Penalty From “Kill The Gays” Bill
- First Gay Mosque Of Europe Opens In Paris
- Same-sex Marriage To Become Legal In 2013
- Iowa Becomes The First Public University To Ask Applicants If They Are Gay
- BBC Report Shows Gay TV Characters Are Under Represented
- Amsterdam Celebrates Drag Queen Winter Olympics 2012
- 10 Overlooked LGBT News Stories of 2012
- Berlusconi Says Yes To Gay Marriage – But Will He Keep His Word?
- ‘Sugar Rush’ Writer’s Bigoted Transphobia Published
- Hampshire ‘Top Police Force 2013’ for LGB
- Gay Marriage Is A ‘Category Error’
- Private: The Gay Agenda Marches On
- Private: Same Sex Marriage Legalised for England and Wales
- Private: The Gay Best Friend Myth
- MPs in Uganda Pass Anti-Homosexual Bill
- The LGBT Pride Flag – Do we really need to include Black and Brown stripes for POC?
- Here’s (Nearly) Everything You Need to Know About the Australian Equal Marriage Vote
- Australia Backs Same-Sex Marriage
Earlier this week a potentially life-changing announcement was made with regard to gay marriage. Prime Minister David Cameron expressed his wish to allow same-sex couples to get married in churches, as heterosexual couples do, stating: “I don’t want gay people to be excluded from a great institution”. Cameron went on to say that if the proposal was passed, no places of worship would be forced to hold homosexual ceremonies if they were against it, saying that it would be “absolutely clear in the legalization”.
I don’t want gay people to be excluded from a great institutionDavid Cameron
Stonewall Chief Executive Ben Summerskill was “delighted about the government’s statement” and said that they would back the proposal 100%. Summerskill further stated that they were particularly happy with the decision to allow gay marriage for the religious denominations willing to carry out such ceremonies, citing this extension of the original proposal as an “important matter of religious freedom”.
After initially considering a ‘3-line whip’, the Labour party have since decided to give the MP’s a free vote on the subject; something Cameron granted the Tory’s earlier this year.
On the 11th December 2012, it was announced by Culture Secretary Maria Miller that the legislation allowing same-sex marriage will be brought forward in 2013. Religious groups such as the Quakers and Unitarians have already voiced their support for the legislation and have stated that they will carry out such ceremonies. Miller stated; “I now look forward to a free, open and rigorous debate on the legislation, which we will introduce early next year.”
The Roman Catholic Church and the Church of England are opposed to equal marriage and thus, within the bill. it will state that it is illegal for these two institutions to engage in same sex ceremonies.
If legalised this proposal will help same-sex couples be viewed as equal to their heterosexual counterparts; something which has been campaigned for several year. Such equality is sure to be a historic event for all it affects.