Friday to be Snowy in Soton

2

The University's Pond freezes in 2010
The University’s Pond freezes in 2010

You may have already seen a flurry, but Southampton is due to get a whole lot more snow.

The Met office have issued a ‘be aware’ warning for snow in Southampton this Friday.

Heavy snow is due to fall from around 9am until sometime around 6pm, when some of the snow falling may turn to rain. A white blanket of around 5cm is expected to lay during the day.

While temperatures are also set to hover around zero for the whole of the day, it will feel more like -6 at the peak of the snowfall across the middle of Friday.

Southampton lies in large band of snow that is due to cover the majority of Britain on Friday.

The snow is not due to continue into Saturday, though warnings have been issued for ice throughout Saturday and into Sunday. Saturday and Sunday are expected to be cloudy and remain cold, while on Monday temperatures should lift by three or four degrees.

Motorists have been urged to take extra care when driving on the roads and to make routine checks on their vehicle before they begin.

With this being the exam period the University has every intention of staying open, but if the extreme circumstance that weather does cause trouble, it’s worth checking the University of Southampton Noticeboard, The University of Southampton Website, and, of course, here at the Wessex Scene for updates and announcements.

And some fun! Send us in your photos of snow at The University, Campus, and accommodation and we’ll publish them online.
Send images to: news@wessexscene.co.uk, editor@wessexscene.co.uk, or ‘like’ Wessex Scene on facebook and post them on there!