SUSU Elections 2013: Dates & Details Announced

0

e-for-wsWant to get involved in your Union? Know someone who could be a good Sabbatical Officer? Or perhaps you want to start holding SUSU to account? Yes, it’s that time again – SUSU Elections!

Over the next month, students will be able to nominate themselves for a variety of positions within the Union. (Or if you’re feeling cheeky, you can have some fun with the friend recommender on the SUSU website). Nominations will officially open on the 9th February.

The elections will take on a new format this year, incorporating Sabbatical, Trustee and Student Leader elections all the same time, with more than 40 positions up for grabs. This will culminate in a results night towards the end of the spring term on March 1st.

The mostly hotly-contested elections will be those for Sabbatical Officers; some of which have seen a rebrand this year. There are seven positions altogether:

• Union President
  • VP Democracy & Creative Industries
  • VP Education
  • VP Engagement
  • VP Sports
  • VP Student Communities
  • VP Welfare

There will also be four Trustee positions and Union Councillor roles available alongside the student leaders ranging from Wessex Scene Editor to RAG Officer to Nightline Officer. To see a full list of positions available – and what these entail – click here.

Are you the next Sam Ling?
Are you the next Sam Ling?

Nominations for this positions open on Saturday 9th February at 9am and close later the same week on Friday 15th February at 12pm.

Election week is often considering one of the most exciting weeks of the University, with campaigning taking over campus; the red-brick area being the focal point for most electioneering. Online campaigning is set to start the day after nominations are announced, with full campaigning beginning on Saturday 23rd February.

Voting will officially open on Wednesday 27th February and close 4pm on Friday 1st March, which will be followed by election night; broadcast live on SUSUtv and followed live by the Wessex Scene.

The Wessex Scene – as well as on Surge Radio and SUSUtv – will be following the elections the whole way through, with extensive media coverage including updates, interviews and live-blogs of debates.

So get nominating!

For information, go to the SUSU election page.