Hampshire ‘Top Police Force 2013’ for LGB

stonewalllogo2Hampshire Constabulary is the ‘Top Police Force 2013’ for lesbian, gay and bisexual people, and its Chief Constable is LGB Champion of the Year.

Stonewall – the lesbian, gay and bisexual charity – named the force as the best performing for the LGB community, coming 15th in the Stonewall Workplace Equality Index 2013.

Inspector Julie Fry, who chairs the force’s Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGB&T) Resource Group, said:

“Our proven track record and consistent high scores in the Stonewall Workplace Equality Index is something the whole force should be proud of.

“Our success is driven by those passionate and capable individuals who take on roles additional to their day jobs. It’s these Lesbian and Gay Liaison Officers, Resource Group members and Sexual Orientation champions who are helping to improve the service we deliver to our communities and ensure lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender police officers and staff are properly supported in the organisation…Recognition from Stonewall is the icing on the cake.”

Chief Constable Alex Marshall was also named Stonewall’s LGB Champion of the Year.

Alex Marshall, LGB Champion of the Year
Alex Marshall, LGB Champion of the Year

Recognised for his commitment to LGBT staff and communities, he said he was ‘surprised to [receive]the award’ and is ‘very proud’ of his team. He is the force’s Fairness and Equality Champion and has previously been recognised as a ‘Straight Ally’ by Stonewall.

The top 5 gay-friendly employers this year are:

1 Accenture
2 Gentoo
3 The Co-operative
4 Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust
5 Home Office

More articles in LGBT
  1. What in the World is this “Gender” Thing? A Non-Binary Perspective
  2. Why Asexual Awareness Week Is Important
  3. LGBT Network gains public presence on Facebook & plans LGBT History Month
  4. Malaysian Government Performing Seminars to Teach Parents and Teachers How to Spot Gay Kids
  5. Kill the Gays – A Fight Against Ugandan Oppression
  6. Brighton Pride Review
  7. Campaign started for a Southampton Pride event
  8. Two Gay Jamaicans Contest The Island’s Homophobic Laws
  9. Media Highlights Worrying Trend Of Gay Conversion Therapy
  10. Obama’s Promise for LGBT Equality Rivals Mitt Romney’s Shocking Policies
  11. Outraged Cardinal Keith O’Brien Wins Bigot Of The Year Award
  12. Homophobia in the UK?
  13. Shocking “Call Me Kuchu” Tells Ugandan LGBT’s Tragic Struggle For Safety
  14. Cameron gets his foot stuck in it, again
  15. America Approves of the LGBT Community
  16. Kill The Gays Bill to pass as ‘Christmas gift’ to Ugandans
  17. Sir Ian McKellen Stands Up Against Homophobic Bullying
  18. Uganda Drops Death Penalty From “Kill The Gays” Bill
  19. First Gay Mosque Of Europe Opens In Paris
  20. Same-sex Marriage To Become Legal In 2013
  21. Iowa Becomes The First Public University To Ask Applicants If They Are Gay
  22. BBC Report Shows Gay TV Characters Are Under Represented
  23. Amsterdam Celebrates Drag Queen Winter Olympics 2012
  24. 10 Overlooked LGBT News Stories of 2012
  25. Berlusconi Says Yes To Gay Marriage – But Will He Keep His Word?
  26. ‘Sugar Rush’ Writer’s Bigoted Transphobia Published
  27. Hampshire ‘Top Police Force 2013’ for LGB
  28. Gay Marriage Is A ‘Category Error’
  29. Private: The Gay Agenda Marches On
  30. Private: Same Sex Marriage Legalised for England and Wales
  31. Private: The Gay Best Friend Myth
  32. MPs in Uganda Pass Anti-Homosexual Bill
  33. The LGBT Pride Flag – Do we really need to include Black and Brown stripes for POC?
  34. Here’s (Nearly) Everything You Need to Know About the Australian Equal Marriage Vote
  35. Australia Backs Same-Sex Marriage

I’m gay, out to a lot of people, but all this LGB(TQC+, however many other letters people seem to need to put) equality seems completely over the top. The Uni seems to employ several equality advisor type people – does anyone know what they do and how the uni would be different without them? Stonewall should be utterly focusing on places where it’s still illegal to be gay.

You would probably know what they contributed to the University, if you spent 5 seconds on google. Do you expect Stonewall, a UK based charity, to just storm into another country and dictate their laws? Don’t be so ignorant. They best they can do is raise awareness, something they continue to do. http://www.stonewall.org.uk/what_you_can_do/donate_to_stonewall/6632.asp

No – I don’t expect them to storm into countries, and that isn’t what I said. I actually meant that they should do it via diplomatic means.

I’m still intrigued what practical difference on a day-to-day basis equality officers make. Just because I am gay doesn’t mean I want to be / like it, and even though it took me several years to come out and come to terms with it no amount of ‘equality’ helped me / encouraged me to do anything different. Despite their best intentions, I know that there’s a silent large minority (perhaps even majority) of gay people who feel totally alienated by the work Stonewall (and other more local LGB groups) does.