Ethics Week Roundup

0

SUSU has been alive with different coloured t-shirts this week as keen volunteers from across the university have been promoting their various ethical causes, gathering recruits, and reminding us all how to live more sustainably.

The Advice Centre was on hand on Tuesday with tips for life on a student budget, whilst Ethics and Environment Officer, Josh Cox, was starting up a campaign against pay day loans, with the aim of lobbying the government to put them under tighter restrictions.

On Thursday morning passing students were delighted to be unexpectedly gifted whole bars of Divine chocolate in exchange for answering trivia questions about Fairtrade. Divine

Water Aid, Student Hubs and Oxfam were also among various charities and organisations promoting their cause.

The RAG team were on campus, selling ‘Hoodies with a cause’ from Hoodaid, the profits of which go towards Enactus, an organization that equips university students to make a difference in their local communities.

Tickets were also on sale for next week’s event of the year, RAG Speed Dating!

Thursday evening saw the official launch of the Green Label Project, a student-run initiative that aims to ‘Simplify Sustainable Shopping’, by identifying products in the SUSU shop which are locally-sourced, vegan, gluten-free or made with over 50% recycled packaging. The team are also working with the catering staff at the Union and University to make life easier for students with allergies and intolerances.

The leader of the project, George Crone, said, ‘I was really happy to discover how many people already knew about the project and excited to get everyone involved!’Swapshop

Friday was focused on fashion, with students encouraged to consider the ethics involved in their clothing purchases. And an innovative new project called ‘Southampton Swap Shop’ was launched, whereby students bring along unwanted clothes to exchange for tokens, which they can then use to buy items donated by others.

The week ended on a high, with the news that the SUSU shop are now selling bottles of ‘One Water’, OWwhich packages its products locally, minimising food miles, and uses profits to fund water projects in Africa.

Josh Cox says, ‘The aim of my year in office is to engage all students in different elements of sustainability, and the purpose of this week was to show people how ethics really does affect everything we do. As a committee we hope to have inspired even just a few people to start thinking about ethics that little bit more and get involved! E&E affects everyone and hopefully this week has begun to show people that!’