University of Southampton Malaysia Campus Officially Opened

0

The University of Southampton’s Malaysia Campus was officially opened today in a special ceremony, with celebrations at both the new site in Malaysia and  at Highfield Campus in Southampton.

malaysiaThe official opening of the new campus, in EduCity@Iskandar in South Johor, was attended by record-breaking Formula One engineer Adrian Newey, who graduated from the University of Southampton in 1980 with a First Class Honours degree in Aeronautics and Astronautics, as well as special guests from Malaysia’s Ministry of Higher Education, Iskandar Investment Berhad and the Iskandar Regional Development Agency. The university’s Vice-Chancellor Don Nutbeam opened the ceremonial proceedings, after taking the opportunity to meet some of the campus’s staff.

Adrian Newey, on his involvement in the official opening ceremony, said:

It is my great pleasure to support the University of Southampton for the formal opening of its Malaysia Campus. My degree from Southampton has certainly assisted me in my career and helped me develop, which I believe will also be true for Southampton’s future graduates in Malaysia and the UK.

The Malaysian Campus opened its doors to students last September to study the internationally respected degree in Mechanical Engineering. Further programmes of study are expected to follow in the near future,  including Electronic and Electrical Engineering as well as PHD opportunities for students.

As well as a special guest appearance from Adrian Newey, the campus saw a display of helicopters created by students at the site as part of their studies. Highfield campus in Southampton also celebrated the occasion; the Arlott Bar served Malaysian food for lunch in honour of the special day, with dishes including Malaysian Ayam Honeyed Dengan Wasi Goreng (Malaysian honeyed Chicken with fried rice) and Malaysian Pedas Daging Lembu mi Halia (Malaysian spicy Ginger Beef Noodles).

The excitement was evident on twitter, with the use of the event’s official hashtag ‘#malaysialaunch’ being used by those both in Malaysia and Southampton.

John McBride, Executive Officer at USMC, said:

The University’s vision is to establish an engineering campus in Malaysia, to form close links with other partners in the region, and to attract high-quality undergraduate and postgraduate students from Malaysia, Indonesia and across the whole of the South East Asia Region. In particular, high-performance engineering is a core part of the new campus curriculum and we’re particularly proud to have one of our high-performance graduates, Adrian Newey, join us for this special occasion.