Man in Coma After Being Found Unconscious Near University Campus

1

A man is in an induced coma in hospital after being found unconscious on Mayfield Road with serious head injuries.

mayfieldThe man was found lying in the road on Mayfield Road, not far from Highfield Campus and Burgess Road, after a suspected assault.

The 30-year-old, who is from Southampton, was seen by a member of the public in the evening of Monday, March 25. Paramedics arrived and he was taken to Southampton General Hospital, where he remains in an induced coma.

It was at first unclear whether the man was a victim of assault, or whether the injuries were sustained in an accident. However, this morning Portswood Police stated on Twitter that:

Scene Guard on Mayfield Road is now closed. Male assaulted, police investigation ongoing.

Detective Sergeant Dave Brunsden also said:

We believe the victim was assaulted and that’s why he ended up injured and unconscious. Because the victim is currently in an induced coma we have been unable to speak to him yet to get a fuller picture so I am appealing for anyone who was in the area yesterday evening and thinks they saw the victim or what happened to him to get in touch as soon as possible.

This incident is just one of many that have occurred in the area in recent weeks. A man was assaulted and robbed on Earls Road a number of days ago, and another was stabbed on Shakespeare Avenue last week. There is no suggestion that these incidents are connected in any way.

Anyone with any information that may be useful should contact Southampton’s area CID team on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.