Police Launch Hunt After Man is Shot Dead in City Centre

0

Police have launched a manhunt following a shooting that occurred at 11am on Saturday 20th April in the St Marys area. The victim has died and another is in a life threatening condition.

Map showing St. Marys Street where the incident happened this morning.
Map showing St. Mary Street where the incident happened this morning.

A police statement confirms that:

“A man was found injured in an address in St Mary’s Street with what appeared to be gunshot wounds.

The man was taken to Southampton General Hospital in a life threatening condition where he has died. CID have started a major investigation and are at the scene to identify possible witnesses and preserve evidence.

There are road closures and diversions in the area around St Mary’s Street.”

Witnesses say that the victim was shot in the head. Police are urging residents to remain indoors whilst they continue to carry out a house to house investigation in order to find the offender.

The moment an injured man was rushed into an ambulance.
The moment an injured man was rushed into an ambulance. Picture courtesy of The Daily Echo.

Witness Mr Kempson said: “It’s quite weird; you do not expect this sort of thing on your own door step. It’s like something off the news and not something you expect to happen round here.”

The incident comes as police continue with Operation Fortress across Southampton – an on going crackdown on violent drug related crime across Southampton.

Anyone with any information is asked to contact the Hampshire Major Investigation Team by phoning 101, quoting Operation Emetic.

Mini-Com users can call the police on 18001 101. Information can be given anonymously by calling the Crimestoppers charity on 0800 555 111

The Wessex Scene will keep you updated as more information develops.

News Editor for the Wessex Scene 2013 - 2015. I lead the news section, consistently providing the website with up-to-date news content. I am experienced in researching, reporting, writing and editing breaking news stories.