Update: Deceased Man Identified after Southampton Shooting

0

Police have have released the identity of the man who died in the shooting in  Southampton at 11am yesterday, Saturday 20th April.

Image courtesy of Paul King
Image courtesy of Paul King

Jamal James, 23, died after being shot in St Mary Street during what police believe to be a ‘drug related incident’. The gun used is suspected to be a hand gun and has not yet been recovered.

Five people – one 36 year old woman and four men, ranging from 41 to 18 years of age have been arrested on suspicion of murder and are currently being interviewed.

Chief Inspector Craig Dibdin, of Southampton Central Police Station said:

“We understand the public may have some concerns of safety due to the nature of this incident.   We  do not believe the public are in any danger as we are following a number of lines of enquiry that cause us to believe at this time this is a drug related incident where the victim and suspects were known to each other is some way, and this incident has occurred as a result of their criminal activity. We will continue to have a police presence in and around the St Mary’s area while the investigation at the premises continues.”

Image courtesy of Paul King
Image courtesy of Paul King

Police are appealing to anybody who was in Ladbrokes on St Mary Street between 9am and 11am.

If you have any information concerning the incident please call 101 and quote ‘Operation Emetic’. Mini-Com users can call the police on 18001 101.

If you would prefer to remain anonymous please call the Crimestoppers charity on 0800 555 111.

The Wessex Scene will keep you updated with more information as it becomes available.