Update: Police Reassure Residents as the Murder Investigation Continues

0

Detectives investigating the fatal shooting of Jamal Jones in Southampton last Saturday have been given more time to question four suspects in connection with his death, whilst police  provide extra patrols to offer community reassurance.

The four people arrested in connection with the murder are a 36-year-old woman and three men aged 41, 21 and 18.

Detective Superintendent Callan Cessford, who is leading the investigation, said:

“This is a complex and constantly evolving investigation involving officers from the Hampshire Major Investigation Team as well as officers and staff from local teams and specialist roles.

“As a result of a thorough search yesterday a firearm has been recovered. We will need to carry out tests on it to establish whether it is relevant to this investigation.”

A post-mortem examination on the victim’s body revealed that the victim died as a result of a shot gun wound to the head. The investigation team is currently continuing house to house inquiries in the St Mary’s area as well as examining forensic and CCTV evidence.

“There has been discussion in the media and on social media sites about the victim’s lifestyle. Whilst we believe at this stage that this murder was drug related, I want to send out a very clear message that we are treating this murder as seriously as we would any other and that we will investigate it thoroughly and professionally with the aim of bringing whoever committed this crime to justice.

“We have had a positive response from the community so far and for this I thank them. I would still like to appeal to people who may know anything about this crime to come forward and talk to us.

Police in the area are currently working to reassure the community through high visibility patrols and an increased presence in the area.

Police are still questioning suspects about the murder of Jamal Jones which happened last Saturday.
Police have been granted extra time to question suspects about the murder of Jamal Jones.

Local Safer Neighbourhood Team (SNT) officers are working closely with community groups and residents to address any community concerns and support the investigation.

Chief Inspector Craig Dibdin said:

“Since Saturday we have had extra officers in the area to assist with the HMIT investigation and to support and reassure the community through what we realise is a worrying time for them.

“No-one expects this kind of incident to happen in their community and we understand that it has left many people with unanswered questions and that people may have been left unsettled by this act of violence.

“My officers are working closely with colleagues in HMIT to conduct a thorough investigation and bring whoever did this to justice. It is a complex and fast-moving investigation and I would like to thank the public for their support of us so far.”

Detective Superintendent Callan Cessford said: “Any piece of information, no matter how small it may seem, could be vital to the investigation.”

If you have any information please contact the Hampshire Major Investigation Team by telephoning 101 and quoting Operation Emetic or by calling Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

The Wessex Scene will keep you updated with any information as and when it becomes available.

News Editor for the Wessex Scene 2013 - 2015. I lead the news section, consistently providing the website with up-to-date news content. I am experienced in researching, reporting, writing and editing breaking news stories.