Textbook Trading Student Business Launches at Southampton

0

Brand new University-based trading platform, Uni Media Mash (UMM) has launched at the University of Southampton, allowing students to trade second-hand textbooks, CDs, DVDs, games, consoles, computer hardware and various other items with each other on campus.

Uni Media Mash Ltd was created in January 2014 and is currently running at 3 UK universities – Southampton, Exeter and Huddersfield.

The company works in a similar way to an online auction with social media elements. Users who sign up to the website connect with their University and can then search for the items they need. Users are then required to meet in person at a designated ‘meeting point’ at the University campus. Payment is either through cash or swapping.

A designated 'Meeting Point' for Uni Media Mash users in the Student's Union.
A designated ‘Meeting Point’ for Uni Media Mash users in the Student’s Union (Building 40).

Final year student Tom Bell, representative for Uni Media Mash at the University of Southampton, said:

I’m an entrepreneur and have always been interested in sales and marketing, management and social engagements. I know the Founder and MD from school and he asked me to manage the release of UMM at the UoS. It solves a problem I’ve experienced before and so would love to see others benefit from using UMM.

“Simply list all of your redundant textbooks and other items on Uni Media Mash Southampton and enjoy the simplicity of trading with other students and helping each other out.”

603706_1459213820998400_8630026438137790625_n

Uni Media Mash was founded by Huddersfield University student Sam Forrest, who is currently in the finals of “15 for 15”, a nationwide competition searching for Britain’s brightest and best self-employed people.

For more information on Uni Media Mash, visit the website here. For the Southampton based campaign, visit the Facebook page or follow them on Twitter at @UMMSouthampton.

News Editor for the Wessex Scene 2013 - 2015. I lead the news section, consistently providing the website with up-to-date news content. I am experienced in researching, reporting, writing and editing breaking news stories.