What Would Quasimodo Say?

0

In Paris, a recent court ruling dismissed all charges made against the nine feminists who protested semi-naked in Notre Dame in opposition to the Catholic Church’s stance on gay marriage.

The women acted on behalf of international feminist group, Femen, renowned for public rallies and protests aimed to tackle sexism in all aspects of life. Their most distinguishing tactic is the use of their bodies: Femen activists always appear bare-breasted at demonstrations empowering women to embrace their gender and to not conform to oppression imposed by the patriarchy.

The activists entered Notre Dame in February 2013 shouting the words written on their exposed flesh “Pope no more!” and “Clear off homophobe!” and repeatedly hit three of the Church’s bells with pieces of wood. They also staged a mock celebration of the resignation of Pope Benedict XVI. Prosecutors sought compensation for distress caused to the public alongside a substantial fine for alleged damage to the Church bells.

Femen activists beat Church bell with wooden stick
Femen activists beat Church bell with wooden stick in opposition to Church teachings

The judge held that there was insufficient evidence to prove any material damage, and found three security guards guilty of assault due to their use of unnecessary force when escorting the women out of the cathedral. They were each given a fine ranging between 300-1,000 euros depending on the scale of violence used by each guard.

Security guard violently removes Femen protester
Security guard violently removes Femen protesters

As the verdict was delivered, the nine Femen members wore flowers in their hair and leader Inna Shevchenko stated that she was not worried about the decision because “we had done everything right and today the judge and the decision of the judge just proved it”. She continued to profess that female anatomy is not a crime. The activists had done nothing illegal “other than bare their breasts, a crime in the eyes of a society dominated the man and the need to disempower strong women”.

The judgement was met with mass opposition as practicing Catholics took offence to this ruling. Pierre-Hervé Grosjean, a priest at Saint-Cyr, expressed such outrage on Twitter when the verdict was announced, saying the court “had signed a permit to damage and for non-respect of our holy places”. Christine Boutin, leader of the Christian Democrat Party, also declared the decision shameful claiming it had “legalised the right for replenished blasphemy”. Thierry Mariani, former housing minister and keen opponent to gay marriage classed it as an “encouragement to all provocateurs” warning the further degradation of societal standards and morals following the decision.

Femen has regarded the Catholic Chuch and religion in general, as one of their greatest obstacles in tackling sexism, and have affirmed that they are not shocked by the reaction.

Femen activists protest topless in Notre Dame
Topless and proud!

The fight against sexism continues and regardless of people’s opinion of Femen – which stirs the debate as to the definition of what it is to be a feminist –  any awareness of female rights and power is a positive thing. Femen’s bold and war-like approach to protesting indirectly promotes a certain ideal of feminism, wherein the aim is to rearrange the inequality spectrum, not eliminate it. It could be inferred from their brazened behaviour that the aggression adopted supports the misconceptions about feminism that its aim is to disempower men.

Feminism is an increasing trend used more as a fickle popularity stunt following the likes of Lena Dunham and Ellen Page, rather than a genuine pursuit of political and social ideals. It is therefore necessary to establish your own stance on what it is to be a modern feminist. The times since the Suffragettes have of course changed, yet inequality remains in our society. As a self-proclaimed feminist, I feel it needs to be affirmed that feminism should not be automatically associated with misandry. The term deserves to be used honourably and respectfully without losing sight of the real aims: the social, economic and political equality of the sexes.

Images from Google.

More articles in 21st Century Feminist
  1. Fleshing Out the Bones of Society
  2. Finally, A Car Made For Me, A Woman!
  3. The Telegraph Just Tried To Disguise Islamophobia With Feminism
  4. Does International Women’s Day Benefit Feminism?
  5. White Feminism : The Lack of Intersectionality Within Mainstream Feminism
  6. What I Talk About When I Talk About Men’s Feminism
  7. The ‘HeForShe’ Campaign: One Year On
  8. When Will the Media Treat Women With Respect?
  9. Vaginal Piercings to be Classified as a Form of Female Genital Mutilation
  10. Easy Ways To Take Feminist Action
  11. #50Dollarsnot50Shades: Porn From The Wrong Place
  12. Feminism Doesn’t Need A Rebrand
  13. Students Must Stand Up to Sexual Assault
  14. What does ‘Body Positivity’ really mean?
  15. Have You Seen Her? Where Are Women Going after University?
  16. Please, Don’t Mention the War
  17. I Clean, Therefore I Am
  18. 2014: The year of the feminist?
  19. Don’t ‘man up’, man your language
  20. White Feminism: Time to Ditch Our Prejudice When Faced With Our Privilege
  21. Rape Culture: Summed Up by Somebody Who Actually Has a Decent Insight into the Matter
  22. This Writer Believes That Sex Work Should Be Accepted by Society
  23. But What About The Men?
  24. Private: Breaking Barriers: Women In The LGBT Community
  25. Opposition to Religion on a Feminist Basis – An Old, Tired and Plain Bad Joke
  26. Losing the Lads’ Mags – Are we really losing our sexual liberation?
  27. The Sexist Sell
  28. Private: Coming Out of the Feminist Closet
  29. The Other Side of Feminism
  30. A Journey With Feminism And Depression
  31. Gender Wars – The Internet’s Front Line
  32. Coming out of the Feminist Closet
  33. Meninist…Feminist – Can’t We All Just Agree On Equality?
  34. What Would Quasimodo Say?
  35. ‘Yes Means Yes’ – A Change For Good?
  36. Delhi Gang Rapists: Victims of the Patriarchy?
  37. The One, or One of Many?
  38. The Anti-Misogyny Twitter Bot You Didn’t Know You Wanted Is Here
  39. The Internet Is For Porn
  40. End the Deforestation of the Female Rainforest
  41. Private: Let’s Stop Selfie Shaming
  42. ISIS Sex Slavery: Is Sexual Violence a Necessary Precondition of Conflict?
  43. Celebrities Like Taylor Swift Have Turned Feminism Into A Gimmick
  44. In Defence of 21st Century Feminism

Third year law student with an interest in criminal and international law, particularly the criminalisation of sexuality (paraphilia; BDSM; prostitution; consent; and HIV transmissions). My research encompasses viewpoints ranging from legal theory and literature to the wider political, social and cultural framework in which criminalisation works within.