Vintage Shopping in Southampton

0

Inspired by Dawn O’Porter’s recent vintage shopping series on Channel 4, I’ve put together a guide to vintage shopping in Southampton and the surrounding areas. If you’ve just moved to the city for your first year, or are looking for some places to pick up some vintage gems, then this is the guide for you!

Southampton 
1. Beatnik Emporium
Beatnik Emporium, which has been trading in Southampton since 1992, is a one-stop shop for all things vintage and retro. Whether you’re looking for a sixties floral mini dress or a boho (faux) fur jacket, head on down! Located conveniently on Above Bar Street (near Cafe Parfait) make sure you check it out when you decide to visit the centre to hit the shops. Keep an eye on Beatnik’s Facebook page for special offers and events.
Beatnik Emporium stocks mens and womens clothing, shoes, accessories and vinyls. 202 Above Bar Street. 

2. Lou Lou’s Vintage Fair
Make a day of vintage shopping by visiting Lou Lou’s Vintage Fair when it stops at the Guildhall. The fair offers a tea party and a vintage beauty parlour as well as rack upon rack of vintage goodies to sort through. The event’s organisers say: ‘Expect stall upon stall of affordable vintage clothing, accessories and homewares mixed with vintage inspired handmade jewellery and clothing.’ There will be clothing spanning from the 1920s to 1990s so you’re sure to find something to suit your look. For information about the upcoming events, visit the website. 

3. Portswood
Although shopping in dedicated vintage shops provides a unique opportunity to find authentic and individual items, it can be a really expensive way of sourcing your garments. Although you’re less likely to find ‘genuine’ vintage items, make sure you have a look in your local charity shops. Portswood has an array of charity shops on its high street – you never know what you could find hidden in the racks!

The surrounding areas
Southampton students are located a convenient 10 minute train ride away from England’s

Charming Magpies - image via www.culturehampshire.com
Charming Magpies – image via www.culturehampshire.com

former capital city, Winchester. The city boasts a regular vintage market on its High Street. It’s held on the first Sunday of every month and is a great opportunity to find not only vintage clothes, but also beautiful homeware and furniture to spruce up your student accommodation! It also hosts a weekly car boot sale, located at the Cattle Market car park (which is a short walk from the train station).  Similarly to Portswood’s charity shops, the bootsale isn’t exclusively for clothing, but there can be some really great bargains to be found! If you can bear to tear yourself away from your bed on a Sunday morning, make sure you arrive early to get the pick of the stalls and the very best bargains. The boot sale runs every Sunday from February to November and begins at around 7.30 am.
Winchester is also home to a range of dedicated vintage shops, including Charming Magpie and Fab Vintage. The latter offers a student discount, so make sure you bring your student ID if you head on over! Charming Magpies is located on Parchment Street and Fab Vintage can be found at 12 Kings Walk.

Have you got any favourite locations for vintage shopping in and around Southampton that we haven’t covered? Let us know!