Blackout Returns to Southampton

0

Blackout, SUSU’s energy saving campaign, will be returning to campus on Friday 14th November.

The campaign is designed to raise awareness about the amount of energy we waste every year.

The event will involve both staff and students turning off all non-essential electrical items across Highfield, Avenue and the Winchester School of Art campuses.

Students help turn electrical items off across campus

Sarah Muskett, Blackout co-ordinator, talks of the benefits behind the blackout:

Blackout is far more than just switching things off. For both staff and students it creates a lasting sense of community and motivation for behavioural change both on campus and at home. The night itself is a flagship for what goes on behind the scenes as part of the University’s commitment to continual environmental improvement.

Sarah Muskett
Blackout co-ordinator

Last years event brought together 250 volunteers, helping to save £1,600, enough to power 5 family homes for an entire year.

Blackout 2013
Blackout 2013

For more information, visit Southampton Blackout’s Facebook page here.

Editor of Wessex Scene 2014-15 Features Editor 2013-14 Writer 2012-2013 I have been involved with the publication throughout my time at university. As editor, I have worked with my team to redesign the magazine, the website and even create special editions on top of our monthly issues. I primarily write news, features and lifestyle pieces.