Southampton to Celebrate Mental Wellbeing Day

0

This Tuesday, 4th November, the University of Southampton will team up with SUSU to support and celebrate Mental Wellbeing Day.

The event, which will take place between 10am – 4pm across the University and Student’s Union, will raise awareness of mental wellbeing with staff and students alike.

Throughout the day, there will be stalls in the Garden Court (Building 40, Restaurant end) and expert speakers on topics such as social anxiety and managing wellbeing and time.

shutterstock_190901093

There will be a Keynote session held in the Garden Court at 1pm, where University of Southampton Provost, Adam Wheeler will highlight the progress made within the University and the Union in the last year.

Mr Wheeler’s sister, Sarah Wheeler, will then share her own experiences with suffering from a severe mental illness. Sarah’s talk will explain how her journey towards mental wellbeing has led to the creation of the “Mental Fight Club” and its new creative space for wellbeing, called The Dragon Cafe.

SUSU Chief Executive Scott McCarthy will then sign the Mindful Employer Charter, an NHS initiative run by Workways, which supports people with a mental health condition to find or remain in employment.

wellbeing

After the Keynote speakers, there will be a pop-up Southampton version of the London-based Dragon Café, with two stress-relieving workshops on body and mind meditation and singing.

SUSU have also organised a number of other useful workshops in and around the Cube, including:

• Time to Change – Ending mental health discrimination, “Look after your Mate” Workshop
  • Arts and Crafts in the Cube
  • Nightline –  The University’s confidential information and listening service
  • GoFit -Increasing and encouraging personal mobility

There will also be special offers on healthy eating in the SUSU outlets all day.

For further details on the upcoming event and what to expect, click here.

News Editor for the Wessex Scene 2013 - 2015. I lead the news section, consistently providing the website with up-to-date news content. I am experienced in researching, reporting, writing and editing breaking news stories.