Southampton Students Urge Government to Support Hong Kong Protest

0

Students from the University of Southampton are heading to Downing Street today to urge the government to protect democracy in Hong Kong.

The students will be joined by Conservative MP for Romsey and Southampton North, Caroline Nokes, and will be delivering a petition along with other students from across the country that echoes the recent protests which have occurred in Hong Kong.

For the last month thousands of students have taken to the streets of Hong Kong demanding the right to choose their own nominations for the city’s chief executive in the 2017 leadership elections.

Th
Thousands have protested in Hong Kong over 2017 elections

Alexander Tam, one of the organisers and a biomedical sciences student from Portswood, said:

“These elections will have a major impact on the British economy. Hong Kong is a financial centre, there’s a number of British companies and industries in Hong Kong. If personal freedoms in Hong Kong are diminishing, it will have a huge impact on the British economy.”

The protests have been peaceful to a large extent, but the police’s use of tear gas on supporters on 29th September has further fuelled protesters’ anger. Protesters have since called for the resignation of Chief Executive CY Leung for his handling of the situation.

BA English student at the University of Southampton and News Editor of the Wessex Scene 2014-2015.