UCU Marking Boycott Suspended

0

Following discussion yesterday (Wednesday 19th November) the University and College Union (UCU), and Universities UK (UUK), have confirmed they are suspending industrial actions over the Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS) pension scheme.

This means the marking boycott has been suspended, at least until the joint negotiating committee meeting, which is scheduled for Thursday 15th January. There will be a series of meetings between UCU, and, UUK in the run up to the JNC committee meeting in the hope that negotiating an agreement to reform the USS scheme.

This means University of Southampton students will be receiving marks and feedback on their work.

Both parties have said they are pleased to have reached an agreement to suspend industrial action. Due to the early stage of the boycott ending, students have not been adversely affected, and members of staff will not have pay deducted.

As many as 10 universities had announced they were to dock 100 per cent of the salary of lecturers taking part in the boycott, with many more Universities stating they would dock salaries 25%. However, some academics have accused unions leaders of ‘betrayal’. And have called for the final salary scheme to be negotiated at a conference of branch delegates.

Editor 2015-16. Politics Editor 2014-15. Third year Politics and Economics student, I've written for every section but primarily write politics, opinion and news pieces. I also write for The Edge, Kettle Mag, The National Student, The Student Times and the Independent and do lots of work with Surge Radio.