Costa Outlet Opens on Campus

0

An outlet of the popular coffee chain Costa has opened today on Highfield Campus. 

The inside of the new store.
The inside of the new store.

The outlet is located in the Gower Building at the north end of campus next to the banks and the John Smith bookshop. The outlet occupies a space that was previously a branch of the bank NatWest, filling a unit that had laid empty since last year. It brings with it 17 new jobs, half currently being filled by students at the University.

To celebrate the opening, the shop is offering free drinks and goody bags containing vouchers. Given the reduced number of students on campus on Wednesdays, the store has still managed to attract attention thus far.

We’re really excited about it.

Toni Birch
Manager
Until now, coffee lovers have made use of the outlets provided by the University and SUSU with Starbucks being served in the Piazza and Staff Club and Costa being served from an express machine in the SUSU Shop. It can’t be known how the opening of this new outlet will affect sales from these outlets or equally how many students will use the outlets given the differences in price that will doubtless ensue. However, store Manager Toni remained optimistic, stating her experience at the Portswood High Street shop and that store’s success in a street with several other competitors.

Costa University of Southampton 2
The store in the Gower building.

Speaking exclusively to the Wessex Scene, the store’s manager Toni Birch said that whilst “our target market is students we’re already thinking about, when it comes to christmas, enticing the public in.”

When asked how the new store would adapt to its audience of students, Toni replied that whilst she is restricted with what she can do she will try to engage them with free samples or competitions. Equally, adapting the opening hours to suit students was something she discussed as possible, citing the Exeter University branches’ closing time of 10pm.

Its really nice to have students here, creating a lovely atmosphere. Everyone loves a Costa!

History student and passionate writer about everything connected to Southampton and its rich tapestry of stories and history.

Due to an unfortunate case of graduation, this writer is no longer active.