Thanksgiving Treat – The American Pumpkin Pie

0

Take a trip across the pond with this American classic, all in time for Thanksgiving!

Thanksgiving isn’t something us Brits get into. It’s a traditionally American celebration of thanks for the harvest. In terms of typical food, it’s very similar to Christmas and being so close to it, I never think twice about Thanksgiving. But this year, rooting around for Christmas bakes, I stumbled upon a section dedicated to it and I realised what a wonderful way it is to showcase some of the season’s best produce.

I absolutely love pumpkin. It’s a brilliant smokey autumn flavour and makes a perfect substitute for potatoes. With its cousin: the butternut squash, you can mash it, roast it, boil it and bake it – any way it tastes great!

Here’s my take on the classic American pumpkin pie!

Pumpkin Pie (£3.50)
Serves 6

You will need:

• 375g pumpkin or butternut squash (you may find that butternut squash is more commonly available in supermarkets than pumpkin)
  • 375g ready rolled shortcrust pastry (I actually only used 2/3 of the pastry)
  • 70g granulated sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 egg
  • 25g melted butter
  • 90ml semi-skimmed milk

Method:

1. Peel, dice and boil the pumpkin/ butternut squash for 15 minutes until tender. (You should easily be able to insert a fork)
  2. Drain and place in a clean bowl
  3. Leave to cool
  4. NEXT, heat your oven to 180 degrees C
  5. Butter a pie dish and roll out the pastry to cover the tin
  6. Trim the edges of the pastry and put to one side
  7. Smooth it out to ensure that all the pie dish is covered and patch holes up with the spare pastry
  8. Once completed, discard the pastry
  9. Prick the base with a fork and bake for 15 minutes (Watch to ensure that the base doesn’t rise. You need to make sure that it stays flat.)
  10. Remove the pie from the oven
  11. Turn the oven to 200 degrees C
  12. THEN, when completely cool, puree the pumpkin/ butternut squash into a clean bowl by squishing it through a sieve with a fork (This can take a while but persevere – the end result makes it all worth it!)
  13. In a separate bowl, mix the sugar, salt, cinnamon, egg, butter and milk
  14. Add the pumpkin puree to the mixture and stir until combined
  15. Pour this mixture into the half-baked pastry case and return to the oven for 10 minutes
  16. Reduce the heat to 180 degrees C and bake for a further 30-40 minutes
  17. Remove from the oven and leave to cool
  18. Serve cold

Thanksgiving 2014: Thursday 27th November