Benedict Cumberbatch Shoots Scenes for BBC Series in Winchester

0

Hollywood heartthrob and Sherlock star Benedict Cumberbatch is currently filming scenes for the final series of The Hollow Crown in Winchester.

Mr Cumberbatch will play the role of Richard III in the BBC adaptation and scenes for the upcoming series are currently being filmed in Winchester’s Great Hall.

The medieval castle is at present fenced off from the public during the three-week shoot, with all entrances said to be barricaded until December 10.

Sherlock Star Benedict Cumberbatch is currently filming scenes in Winchester.
Sherlock star Benedict Cumberbatch is currently filming scenes in Winchester.

According to reports from The Daily Echo, filming has been “shrouded in mystery”, with film crew telling the paper that they were filming Batman, an Emmerdale Christmas special and “Harry Potter 57”. However, one crew member, who asked not to be named, confirmed that the star was on set filming The Hollow Crown.

It appears that Hampshire has become a trendy location for film making in recent years. In 2012, Winchester Cathedral and Winchester College were sites for the award winning film Les Misérables, with stars such as Russell Crowe and Hugh Jackman filming scenes in the city.

Moreover, last month, casting agency 2020 visited the University of Southampton, offering students the chance to appear as extras in a new Hollywood feature film which was to be shot in the Southampton area. Around 100 students were recruited, and the film was later revealed to be the new Mission Impossible 5.

The final series of BBC’s The Hollow Crown: The War of the Roses, will air in 2016.

The Wessex Scene will be updated as more information becomes available.

News Editor for the Wessex Scene 2013 - 2015. I lead the news section, consistently providing the website with up-to-date news content. I am experienced in researching, reporting, writing and editing breaking news stories.