12 Bakes of Christmas – Vanilla Cookies

0

If you want a little variety from all the chocolatey goodness around at Christmas time, give these crumbly vanilla cookies a go! A great little treat with a hot drink!

Makes 50-60 cookies

Ingredients:

• 125g unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 300g granulated sugar
  • 15g vanilla sugar (most major supermarkets stock this during the Christmas period)
  • 113ml (slightly less than 1/2 cup) neutral oil, e.g. canola oil
  • 300g plain flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder

1. Preheat oven to 150 degrees C. Line baking tray with parchment paper.

2. Beat together softened room temperature butter, granulated sugar and vanilla sugar until pale, light and fluffy.

3. Add oil and beat until combined.

4. Mix and sift dry ingredients together and stir into butter mixture using a wooden spoon, until a dough forms.

5. Using floured hands, roll balls of dough and place them onto the lined baking tray. Make sure to leave enough space in between dough balls to allow for spreading in the oven.

Useful tip: you may want to weigh the whole dough (this depends on how many cookies you want to make) and divide it uniformly for an even bake.

6. Bake for 20 minutes.

7. Leave cookies in baking tray for 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to finish cooling. Useful tip: if you don’t have a wire rack, make use of the rack in the oven. Allow to cool in the tray for a small period of time to allow them to crisp up nicely without breaking when you move them later.

In the meantime, as you wait, brew a nice cuppa or a coffee to go with all these delicious sweet cookies!

IMG_20140421_164253

travel aficionado, writing as frequently as possible