12 Bakes of Christmas – Orange and Cinnamon Biscuits

0

The perfect Christmas treat to accompany another viewing of The Grinch along with a mug of hot chocolate.  They also make tasty (and affordable!) gifts for your housemates. 

To make 24 Orange and Cinnamon biscuits, you’ll need:

iced biscuits
Image via Jack Wills.

350g plain flour

100g self-raising flour

125g granulated sugar

125g salted butter, diced

125g golden syrup

1 large egg, lightly beaten

Grated zest of 2 oranges

½ tablespoon of cinnamon

For icing:

400g/14oz icing sugar

3-4 tbsp water

2-3 drops food colouring

Edible glitter

Method: 

*  Preheat the oven to 170c/350f/gas mark 4 before you begin making your biscuits.

* Sift the flours together into a mixing bowl; add the sugar, cinnamon and orange zest. Mix well.

* Add the butter. Using just the tips of your fingers, rub together the ingredients until the mixture resembles  fine breadcrumbs.

* When all the butter is evenly mixed in, make a well in the centre and add the syrup and the egg.

* Mix well, drawing in any of the flour left at the sides of the bowl and stop as soon as a ball has formed.

Place the dough onto your clean worktop. Divide into two and squash the dough into two even-sized flat discs. Cover and chill until ready to use, or roll out immediately.

Place the dough on a sheet of parchment and begin by gently squashing the dough down with a rolling pin or your hands. Cover with a second sheet of parchment and then use the rolling pin to roll out properly.

The top sheet of paper may crinkle from time to time, just peel it off and smooth it down gently before starting to roll again.

Gently roll the dough until it is 5mm thick all over, then transfer the whole sheet of rolled dough still sandwiched between its sheets of parchment to a baking tray and place in the fridge to chill for at least 20 – 30 minutes before cutting.

icedbisciuits2
Star biscuits (image via BBC).

Christmas themed cutters are widely available online, or you can choose to make your own. To do this, identify the shape you want to trace and lay a sheet of parchment on top, carefully tracing around the shape.  Remember that you can ice on much more detail than needs to be reflected in the shape of the biscuit. Carefully cut the templates out with scissors.

Cook until golden brown Bake for approximately 18-20 minutes until turning pale golden around the edges, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.

For the icing, sift the icing sugar into a large mixing bowl and stir in enough water to create a smooth mixture. Stir in the food colouring. Carefully spread the icing onto the biscuits using a knife and sprinkle over the glitter. Set aside until the icing hardens.

Original recipe can be found here