Christmas Makeup Tutorial

1

The festive party season is here and every girl wants to turn heads at the Christmas party. It’s all too easy to go over the top with Christmas makeup so help is on hand to ensure you don’t make any makeup faux pas this season. If you’ve ever wondered how to achieve the perfect smokey eye or bold lip then look no further.

The Smokey Eye

If you want your eye makeup to last all night it’s important to apply an eye primer before putting on any shadow, Urban Decay’s Primer Potion is one of the best out there!

It’s a common misconception that you have to use black and grey shadows to create a smokey eye. In fact, you can use any colours as long as your base shadow is lighter than your crease shadow and you use a matt shade for the crease – for a more natural look try gold and cream shades. Once you’ve applied a base colour all over your lid then you need to take a fluffy blending brush such as the Mac 217 brush to soften the edges. Keep blending until you achieve the desired effect.

Image via fashionplaceface.com
Image via fashionplaceface.com

To make your bottom lash line appear fuller take the crease shade and apply a thin line just beneath your bottom lashes.

To finish your eye makeup look create a bold cat flick with a liquid liner, L’oreal Paris Superliner is my favourite, the pointed felt nib makes it incredibly easy to apply and finish with a coat of your favourite mascara.

Top Tip – If you’ve gone for a dark smokey eye with black or purple shades, pair this with a nude, glossy lip. If you’ve gone for a more natural look with cream and gold shades, pair this with a bold red lip.

The Bold Lip

Image via thefashiontag.com
Image via thefashiontag.com

If you want your lipstick to last through all the mistletoe kisses then you’ll need to apply a lip liner underneath your lipstick, but it’s important to make sure your liner and lipstick match (most makeup counters will do this for you), as no one wants an obvious lip line!

Matte lips are very on trend and for the perfect matte red lip try Mac Ruby Woo. Matte lipsticks tend to last longer than satin finish lipsticks too! If you’re worried about precision then try applying your lipstick with a lip brush.

To finish, apply a slick of Lipcote and your lipstick won’t budge!

Top Tip – If you go for a bold lip, keep the rest of your makeup as minimal as possible.

Contouring and Highlighting

Ever wondered how Kim Kardashian always has a natural glow and such high cheekbones? It’s all about contouring and highlighting, and anyone can achieve this look with a little know how.

Contorting:-
Contouring is applying a matt bronzer to the hollows of your cheeks to make your cheekbones look higher and more pronounced. If in doubt, pull a fish face and the indents that appear in your cheeks are where you need to apply the bronzer. Make sure to blend with a makeup brush such as the Real Techniques Contour Brush, the more you blend, the more natural it will look.

Highlighting:-

Image via benefitcosmetics.co.uk
Image via benefitcosmetics.co.uk

Highlighting is applying a light, shimmery shade on top of your cheekbones (above where you have contoured), to make your skin look healthy and glowing. For a more natural, dewy glow use a cream highlighter such as the Benefit Watts Up and for a more intense highlight use a powder highlighting powder such as a Mac Mineralize Skinfinish.

Let us know if you have any favorite products to use for a festive party look!