Is Sol Campbell running for Parliament?

0

Former England and Arsenal footballer Sol Campbell is reportedly in talks with the Conservative party to become a candidate in the 2020 General Election.

Campbell was pictured leaving a meeting with the Tory Party Chairman, Grant Shapps – which has lead to speculation that the 40-year old will be joining the party. Shapps told the Sun his meeting with Campbell was about an Organ donation drive, and refused to comment on speculation he is joining the party. Campbell, who was born in East London to Jamaican parents said he was “ready to have a conversation” within the party, in order to help secure the “black vote”.

The married father of two –  who owns a £25m house in London and a second property in Northumberland – has been vocal on social media in the past with regard to Labour policies – in particular mansion tax. In September, he launched a twitter rampage and received a myriad of angry replies, calling his “out of touch.”

Last month, Campbell appeared on the BBC’s Daily Politics slot, calling the tax “flawed and not fair at all” stating it would “hurt people who were a way away form London and Oligarchs…Labour are punishing me for sticking my neck out”.

He went on to say he has “come from nothing” and there was a significant divide between his income and assets.

Campbell is amongst a group of multimillionaire celebrities to speak out against Labour’s proposed tax, including Myleene Klass who attacked Ed Miliband over the reforms last month.

Campbell’s ex-England team mate, Frank Lampard has also aroused speculation about running as a Tory MP. According to the Daily Star, the 36 year old player has issued a “come and get me plea” to the Conservative party. Lampard, who is returning to parent club New York City in January, has stated he has a lot of respect for both David Cameron, and George Osbourne, who’s he’s “met a couple of times.” He’s also stated there are Labour MPs who he has respect for too, especially Shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer, Ed Balls.

Feature image from Footballfancast.com

Editor 2015-16. Politics Editor 2014-15. Third year Politics and Economics student, I've written for every section but primarily write politics, opinion and news pieces. I also write for The Edge, Kettle Mag, The National Student, The Student Times and the Independent and do lots of work with Surge Radio.