Christmas Market Round Up

0

Mulled wine, artisan foods, handmade Christmas decorations and more. Christmas markets are the perfect idea for getting into the Christmas mood. Whether it’s last minute present buying or just having a skate on the ice rink, I challenge anyone to not enjoy themselves!

We’ve picked out our 5 favourites:

Manchester:
The huge market is spread over a handful of different locations around the city, each with it’s own theme: arts and crafts, food stalls, German and French, giving it a very international feel. The market was voted to be in the top 10 Christmas markets in the world, making it popular for visitors from all around the UK!

Manchester xmas marketII

Bath:
Through winding cobbled streets behind cathedrals and Roman baths you will find this picturesque Christmas market. Meandering down the streets of Bath are more than 170 traditional wooden chalets serving up hand-made jewellery from Bath, speciality cheeses from Gloustershire, and Welsh alternatively-sourced spirits. 60% of the produce at this market comes from Bath itself, and 70% is hand-made in the UK.

Bath xmas market

Birmingham:
Birmingham Frankfurt Christmas market is the largest German Christmas market outside Germany and it really is spectacular! Dine on bratwurst, pretzels and schnitzels and then have a skate on the ice rink, browse some of the 180 stalls or have a glass of mulled wine or weissbeer. The fair ground rides also give a lot of enjoyment, especially after that glass of weissbeer!

Birmingham christmas market

Winchester:
Set with the backdrop of it’s magnificent cathedral, Winchester Christmas market really captures the right atmosphere. As you walk around the market, listen out for the choristers in the cathedral. The skating rink, the centre piece of the market is a favourite of Southampton students. Who doesn’t like watching others tumble and fall on ice?

Winchester xmas market

Edinburgh:
With three main Christmas markets, you are spoilt for choice in Edinburgh! St. Mary’s Christmas market is host to children’s activities, arts and crafts, while Edinburgh’s Scottish Christmas market showcases Scotland’s best in artisan foods, micro-brewery ales and hand-made Christmas ornaments. With a German Christmas market too, it could be hard to know which to visit first!!

Edinburgh xmas marketI

Second year Oceanography student with a travel addiction.