Poll Indicates Demand for Green Party to be Included in Election Debates

0

A poll has shown that 79% of the public want to see the Green Party featured in the leaders TV debates in the run up to the 2015 General Election. 

The poll, which was conducted by ICM between 12 and 16 December, shows even support for featuring the Greens in debates across all sections of the population.

The party is excluded under current arrangements for debates, with broadcasters justifying it’s exclusion due to the fact it has not been as popular as the four included parties in recent polls and elections. As such, the Green Party is not likely to have a role in the formation of the next government.

The Green Party has threatened legal action against broadcasters over the fact it has not been invited to participate. The arrangements that were eventually agreed between broadcasters and the political parties involved mean that there will be one debate between the Liberal Democrats, UKIP, Labour and the Conservatives, followed by a debate between Labour, the Conservatives and the Lib Dems and then one final debate between the Conservatives and Labour.

The poll showed support for the inclusion of the Greens across the political spectrum, with even 60% of Conservative voters indicating that they would like to see the Green Party take part in the debates.

Natalie Bennett, leader of the Green Party

The leader of the Green Party, Natalie Bennett, said:

It is clear from votes and polls that the public are fed up with the three business-as-usual parties and are looking around for alternatives. The public want a serious debate in which they hear the full range of views.

Negotiations over the format of next year’s election debates are currently taking place in private, and participants have agreed not to leak any details of these talks.

Leaders have also recently faced audiences of young voters as part of the Leaders Live initiative. The events allowed young voters to put questions directly to the party leaders, either in person or via social media. The initiative was organised by Bite the Ballot, an organisation which encourages young people to vote, in cooperation with a number of media organisations such as the i Paper, ITV news, and YouTube channel Bite News. The leaders of the Green Party, UKIP, Labour and the Lib Dems have already taken part and David Cameron is set to be questioned in the near future.

Deputy Editor 2017-18, International Editor 2015-17. Languages student adjusting to being back in the UK after a year in Chile. Interested in Latin America, world news, media and politics.