University of Southampton Staff Recognised in the Queen’s New Year Honours List

0

Two members of staff at the University of Southampton, Professor Cyrus Cooper and Mr Colin Miles, have been recognised in the Queen’s New Year Honours List.

Two members of staff at the university have been recognised.
Two members of staff at the university have been recognised on the Queen’s New Year Honours List.

Cyrus Cooper, who us a Professor of Rheumatology and Director of the Medical Research Council Lifecourse Epidemiology Unit at the university, has been awarded an OBE for services to medical research.

Professor Cooper leads an internationally competitive programme of research into the epidemiology of musculoskeletal disorders, most notably osteoporosis. He commented:

“I’m surprised and delighted to be recognised with this very special honour. I am fortunate to have been involved in working on the causes and prevention of musculoskeletal disorders, a major cause of ill health and disability. Throughout my career I have been privileged to work with outstanding colleagues in both academia and the clinical setting, who are very much part of this achievement.”

Colin Miles, a Facilities Manager within Physical Sciences and Engineering, has been awarded a British Empire Medal for services to higher education.

Mr Miles has devoted over 35 years to the University of Southampton as Facilities Manager within Physics and Astronomy at the University. He provides technical support for teaching and research requirements in the University’s state-of-the-art research labs, and manages technical staff across various disciplines. He said:

“I am delighted to be recognised with this honour, it came as a great surprise. When I moved to Southampton from the University of Oxford in 1978 it was with a great deal of trepidation, but with the support of the staff within Physics and Astronomy, and the University in general, it has been a wonderful career.”

Professor Don Nutbeam, Vice-Chancellor of the University of Southampton, says:

“Through his extensive body of work, Professor Cooper has made essential contributions across several key areas of medical research and healthcare. I am delighted that his pioneering work has been recognised with this prestigious honour.”

“Colin is an outstanding University manager whose career has been dedicated to the delivery and improvement of higher education. His immense contribution to seek continuous improvement in the standard of service and facilities offered by the University’s laboratories and other facilities has been invaluable.”

BA English student at the University of Southampton and News Editor of the Wessex Scene 2014-2015.