BREAKING: Marking Boycott to be Resumed

0

The University and Colleges Union has announced that its members will resume their Marking Boycott on Friday 16th January.

Universities and Colleges Union (UCU) members originally started the boycott in December in protest against proposed changes to their pension schemes. Universities UK, which is responsible for pensions at 69 public universities across the country, proposed ending final salary arrangements and paying staff pensions based on their average career earnings.

The boycott was later suspended on Wednesday 19th December to allow for discussions between UCU and Universities UK. It is understood that the UCU feel that sufficient progress has not been made in negotiations between the two sides.

It is not yet clear how the University of Southampton or the Students’ Union will respond to the resumption of industrial action. In December before the boycott was suspended SUSU decided not to support it due to the adverse effect it would have on students.

This means that from Friday students will receive no feedback on any assessed work that they have submitted recently, and any future assignments submitted will not be marked until further notice.

Students are advised to continue submitting their work as normal and to contact VP Education, Sophia D’Angelico, or their lecturers if they have any issues.

The Wessex Scene will keep you updated as more information becomes available.

Deputy Editor 2017-18, International Editor 2015-17. Languages student adjusting to being back in the UK after a year in Chile. Interested in Latin America, world news, media and politics.