Human Trafficking – Still an issue?

1

Human Trafficking, surely that can’t be an issue in our society? A developed country with a good force for civilian safety – we can’t be victims of Human Trafficking, can we? Unfortunately, the answer to this is yes.

Sunday 11th January marked Human Trafficking Awareness Day. It was a day designed (as the name suggests) to promote awareness about this very prominent danger that affects not only our society, but nations all over the world, some of the worst being in Asia. But in a country where the vast majority of us feel safe, it’s hard to believe that human trafficking happens closer to us than we think.

According to the UN Office on Drugs and Crime, human trafficking is one of the “fastest growing international crimes”, with an estimated 1.2 million children trafficked every year on an international level, according to UNICEF. It has become an epidemic and a crisis, which is more commonly referred to as a form of ‘modern day slavery’.

In the UK, there were reported to be over 350 cases of adults being trafficked for reasons of sexual exploitation and just over 250 cases of adults being trafficked through labour exploitation in 2012. In the same year, just under 100 cases of child trafficking for sexual exploitation were reported, under 50 cases due to “domestic servitude” but the grand majority of cases presented were classified as having unknown reasons for exploitation, according to The Centre for Social Justice.

In the grand scheme of things, perhaps the figures don’t appear to be high but with an aim to reduce human trafficking full stop, these statistics are high enough.

So what can you do? 

Stopthetraffik.org is a “global movement of activists” intent on reducing levels of human trafficking on a worldwide scale and creating campaigns for awareness. They encourage supporters to “Act locally. Campaign globally and Give generously” to equip communities with the right tools to provide aid to victims of trafficking.

In addition, you may be able to help through Amnesty International who campaign against Human Trafficking on a worldwide scale. SUSU Amnesty International president, Poppy Bowers:

It is our job as students and members of society to voice these human rights abuses and enforce governments to take it upon themselves to provide better services, for the victims of human trafficking in the UK and internationally.

She adds that human trafficking “is a fundamental problem in our society”. More information about the Amnesty International’s movement can be found at their website: http://www.amnesty.org.uk

A report published by the Centre for Social Justice suggests that there is not enough awareness about the issue in this country and so any support that is given is greatly received.

(The article published by the Centre for Social Justice can be accessed by following this link: ‘It Happens Here’)

This article is cross-posted with the SUSU RAG blog. 

Human trafficking is larger in the US than people could ever believe. This month alone there has been 881,661 people rescued. This is Women, children & young boys. Have tried to get this out to the public but no one wants to listen. The people taking Americans are very ruthless & will not think twice about protecting there stock as they refer to the captured. I wish you luck in getting people to listen. I do know it is happening around the globe.