SUSU Housing Fayre Returns to Campus

0

Anxious students will be able to solve housing issues and concerns at SUSU’s Housing Fayre, which returns to campus this Monday, 26th January. 

The SUSU Housing Fayre will be held between 10am-3pm on the concourse in Building 42, students are encouraged to drop by whenever they have a few moments spare.

The Housing Fayre is promised to be bigger and better this year, with SUSU offering sessions on trialing potential housemates as well as providing advice on the essentials of knowing your rights when it comes to renting a property outside of a Halls community.

Students at last year's successful housing fayre. (Photo courtesy of SUSU)
Students at last year’s successful housing fayre. (Photo courtesy of SUSU)

The Student’s Union’s Lettings Agency, SUSU Lettings will be on hand to answer questions, as well as the University Housing Clinic, who will be available to answer any queries related to the legal side of housing.

Peer Support at SUSU will also be hosting ‘Pop the Question’, a chance for students to get to know future housemates. There will also be a Housing Fayre quiz, titled ‘Guess the Pest’ and a chance to win a £50 Ikea voucher.

The event is being organized by VP Welfare, Beckie Thomas, who said:

Everyone should come along to the SUSU Housing Fayre to find out some essential facts that will help you to get the most out of your housing experience next year; from getting along with housemates, to organising bills, to deposits and inventories. There will even be a chance to win a few prizes too!

The Housing Fayre was launched last year, after the success of the Student’s Union’s ‘Don’t Rush’ campaign, which sought to help all students realise that there is no need to rush for housing.

The campaign saw over 250 students pledge not to rush, attracted support from three Southampton MPs as well as drawing attention from five of Southampton’s worst rated letting agencies, who promised to stop pressuring students.

Students took part in the 'Don't Rush' campaign last year.
250 students took part in SUSU’s ‘Don’t Rush’ campaign last year. (Photo credit: SUSU)

The SUSU Housing Fayre will be held on 26th January between 10am-3pm on the concourse in Building 42. For more information, join the event on Facebook here.

News Editor for the Wessex Scene 2013 - 2015. I lead the news section, consistently providing the website with up-to-date news content. I am experienced in researching, reporting, writing and editing breaking news stories.