UPDATE: Tributes to Southampton Student who Fell to their Death

0

Tributes have been made to Chi-yeung Fung who died after falling from a flat in the Liberty Quays building in Dukes Street.

The 20-year-old Geology student was treated at the scene by paramedics on January 8th, but later died from multiple injuries in hospital.

Professor Rachel Mills, Head of Ocean and Earth Science at the University of Southampton, led the tributes. She said:

“The university is very saddened to hear of the death of one of our students, Chi-yeung Fung. Our thoughts and condolences are with his family and friends at this difficult time. Chi-yeung was a valued member of our student community and he will be missed by many.

She added:

“The University of Southampton has provided its wide range of excellent support facilities for students and we encourage any of our students affected by this to contact our enabling services team.”

The chief operator at Liberty Living, Mr John Kenny, said:

“We are deeply saddened by this incident and would like to pass our heartfelt condolences to Chi-yeung’s family. This is a difficult time for the residents and staff of Liberty Quays Southampton. We are working with them closely to ensure that they all receive the support that they need.”

As previously reported, Mr Fung fell from approximately 60ft, and it is understood that there have been no suspicious circumstances surrounding the incident following an investigation by Hampshire Police.

BA English student at the University of Southampton and News Editor of the Wessex Scene 2014-2015.