Are Students Free to Speak Their Mind? Well at Southampton, yes.

3

The debate surrounding the limitations of free speech has been a key issue of the last few months, from Charlie Hebdo to Page 3, it has not been out of the news – and campus censorship is a big part of that debate.

Anyone who works in student media will know campus censorship is a big issue. Traditionally student media has been an outlet to criticise the mistakes of Universities and their Unions. But recently there has been a myriad of accusations of  Unions and Universities censoring their papers.

But Southampton isn’t on that list.

New research by Spiked has described Southampton as

A students’ union, university or institution that, as far as we are aware, places no restrictions on free speech and expression – other than where such speech or expression is unlawful.

The research looked into the University’s policy’s on free speech, external speaker policies, bullying and harassment policies, equal opportunities policies. As well as the Student Union’s, no platform policies, safe space policies, and student codes of conduct.

Perhaps Southampton’s disaffiliation with the NUS is to thank.  The NUS’s no platform policy means that NUS events and NUS officers, can not voice ‘extremists’ such as the British National Party and English Defence League. Hence in 2012, when Leeds’ Student Paper, printed an interview with Nick Griffin. Aaron Kiely, the NUS Black Students Officer at the time, wrote an open letter demanding the Editor removed the interview immediately, on the grounds it was voicing fascism.Other NUS policies banned voicing Julie Bindel and George Galloway. It begs the question, where do the limitations lie? If we’re going to ban the BNP, should we ban UKIP too? If we’re not, should we voice ISIS too?

Prestigious Universities such as Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Edinburgh,, Kings, Leeds, Leicester, Oxford, UCL, SOAS, and Leicester have ranked among the worst Universities on Spiked list, whereas local Universities such as Solent and Winchester have joined Southampton at the top. Only 20% ranked as well as Southampton, meaning 80% limit free speech on campus, interestingly Unions tend to limit free speech more than Universities.  

The Sun was the most popular banned item, followed by Robin Thicke’s Blurred Lines, unruly sports teams. BDS (a pro-Palestine group) and pro-life groups were also common bans.

There are a number of restrictions placed on free speech under UK law, such as harassment, and incitement to violence – but a lot of these bans do not effect these.

Student media  – which is largely censored – should be an outlet to hold the Union, and the University to account – not a place where free speech should be hindered. The NUS are currently in talks with the National Union of Journalists to produce a student media guide to help settle disputes, and the student publication association are also working on a charter. But the NUS aren’t clear of these censorship charges. In 2012, Leeds’ Student Paper, printed an interview with Nick Griffin. Aaron Kiely, the NUS Black Students Officer at the time, wrote an open letter demanding the Editor removed the interview immediately, on the grounds it was voicing fascism. According to their ‘No Platform’ policy, NUS affiliated Universities can not voice ‘extremists’ such as the BNP, and EDL . Other NUS policies banned voicing Julie Bindel and George Galloway.

Former Editors of Durham’s ‘The Palantine’  have spoke out against the former Vice-Chancellor, Chris Higgins. According to the Times Higher Education, the Editors were warned not to write articles which were critical of the institution,. Daniel Johnson, one of the paper’s Editors in 2011,  published an article about a substantial donation from British American Tobacco to the University, and another over the appointment of David Held as college master, a man with links of the Gaddafi family. Mr Johnson alleged he was asked to resign as an Editor or face serious disciplinary matters,  and feared expulsion.

This is just one example of a plethora of accusations that have come forward recently in student media censorship, and that is only the beginning. When Unions ban newspapers, songs and certain student groups, we’re already in a worrying situation.

Editor 2015-16. Politics Editor 2014-15. Third year Politics and Economics student, I've written for every section but primarily write politics, opinion and news pieces. I also write for The Edge, Kettle Mag, The National Student, The Student Times and the Independent and do lots of work with Surge Radio.

On the question of giving voice to fascists like the BNP, unfortunately if we attempt to block them from speaking – like the Antifas at Oxford tried to do to Marine Le Pen last week – then we sink to their despicable level. The NUS’ ‘No Platform’ policy is nice-sounding but in practice it is an intolerable intrusion on our free speech, and it too easily leads to further restrictions.

On the point about universities censoring student media, the fact this occurs doesn’t surprise me, but it is certainly a shame and a real worry. I’m glad we seem to be more or less free to speak our minds here at Southampton.

If only the Wessex Scene was free to print what it wants. The reality is, SUSU fund the paper, hence they feel entitled to regulate what editors/writers can say. Having been on the editorial team, I can remember being told that SUSU would delete any articles that went against their policies.

Bridie Pearson-Jones

Hi Former Student,

It’s unfortunate that was your experience in the past. I’m on the editorial team this year, and I can say that is no longer the case. Yes SUSU do fund the paper, but there are no editorial issues in terms of SUSU censoring us now, in fact we’ve been encouraged to hold SUSU and the University to account.