In the second instalment of our Restaurant Inspired Recipes series, I’ll be showing you how to recreate the popular Peri Peri chicken of one of Britain’s most loved restaurant chains. But you won’t need your loyalty card to get hold of this meal – even if you aren’t the most adept chef, you can recreate this simple and tasty dish yourself.
PERi-PERi roast chicken
- 1/3 Cup (80ml) Nando’s PERi-PERi Sauce
- 1 tsp Fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 Garlic clove, finely grated
- 1 Lime, juiced
- 1 tsp Dried chilli flakes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 whole chickenCoconut and Lime Rice
- 400g Coconut cream
- 1 1/2 Cups (375ml) Water
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 300g Jasmine rice
- 1 Lime, finely grated zest and juice
- 10ml Thai fish sauce (or additional salt)
- 30ml Coconut shavings, toasted
- For the roast chicken, combine all of the ingredients together, rub over the chicken, cover and chill for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C.
- Place the chicken into a roasting tray and pour the marinade over the chicken. Bake for 80 – 90 minutes, basting frequently.
- For the coconut and lime rice, place the coconut cream, water, salt, sugar and rice into a pan and bring to the boil.
- Cover and simmer, over a low heat for 20 – 25 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the lime zest and Thai fish sauce or salt.
- Serve garnished with the lime zest and toasted coconut shavings, the chargrilled lime wedges and the chicken.
Recipe via Nando’s.