Immigration Street Screening Date Revealed

0

The highly controversial Channel 4 documentary ‘Immigration Street’ filmed in Southampton will be aired this month.

Channel 4 has revealed that the Immigration Street documentary, which follows the lives of ethnically diverse residents living in the Derby Road area of Southampton, will be screened on February 24 at 10pm.

The channel also confirmed it will be just a single one-hour episode rather than the originally planned six part series.

The news comes after a series of protests from campaigners against the Love Productions-filmed documentary, as well as demonstrations in Southampton and outside Channel 4’s headquarters in London.

Executive producer Kieran Smith said:

Many people on Derby Road made the crew feel welcome and wanted to share their stories but there were local groups who, for their own reasons, were determined to halt production.

It’s a great shame as the footage we have shot shows Derby Road is a place where, on the whole, people of different nationalities, cultures and religions respect and get along with each other. This will be reflected in the film.

Immigration Street is a follow-up to the television show Benefits Street, which followed the lives of people living on a Birmingham street.

News Editor for the Wessex Scene 2013 - 2015. I lead the news section, consistently providing the website with up-to-date news content. I am experienced in researching, reporting, writing and editing breaking news stories.