Recipe: Butternut Squash Risotto

0

Image by Sophie Fell
Image by Sophie Fell

With squash in season at the moment this is a great winter recipe, and is super easy. If you need a recipe to impress your housemates, or you’re just in need of some healthy comfort this could be it!

Ingredients:

1 small butternut squash
2 crushed cloves of garlic
2 shallots
800ml of stock
300g of arborio rice
Olive oil
Salt, Pepper & sage to taste
75g of butter (optional)
100g of parmesan (optional)
100 ml white wine (optional)

Serves: 4
Prep and cooking time: 1 hour
Set oven to 200C

1) Peal and roughly dice the squash into small cubes, place in a roasting dish and drizzle in olive oil, then cook in an oven at 200C for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.

2) Once the squash has been cooking for 20 minutes, peel and cut the shallots and crush the garlic, then add to a large pan. Fry them in olive oil until the onion is translucent.

3) In a separate pan, put your stock onto simmer so it’s hot for later.

4) Add the rice and stir until it’s covered in oil, then lightly fry the rice taking care to make sure it doesn’t burn.

5) Before the rice starts burning add your first ladle of stock and stir. Turn the heat down to a simmer so the rice doesn’t cook too quickly.

6) Add the wine (if using) and stir.

7) Slowly ladles of stock (one ladle at a time) stirring as you go, allowing each ladleful to be absorbed before adding the next. It should be about 20 minutes until the rice is fully cooked – keep tasting the rice to test if it’s cooked or not.

8) When the butternut squash is cooked take it out of the oven. Put ¼ of the squash aside to sprinkle on the top, and mash the rest of the squash. Then stir the mashed squash into the risotto.

9) Take the risotto of the heat and stir in the butter and parmesan, adding salt, pepper and sage to taste.

10) Serve the risotto, sprinkling the remaining squash on top.

Cat Lady and journalist. Ex-records editor (2014-2015) over at The Edge, and South West Regional Officer for the Student Publication Association.