Investigation Launched After Sex Attack in Portswood

0

Hampshire Police have today launched an investigation after a teenage girl was seriously sexually assaulted on Portswood Road.

It has been reported that police were called after a member of the public came across a 19-year-old woman who reported that an unknown man had sexually assaulted her as she walked home.

A man who came to the woman’s aid was then assaulted by the unknown man who also demanded that he hand over his money and his phone.

The attack happened between midnight and 4am at the junctions of Portswood Road with Bowden Lane and Brickfield Road.

Officers have taped off a set of steps that lead to an industrial estate and police have been seen knocking on doors and talking to pedestrians nearby.

UPDATE:  It has been reported that a 21-year-old man from Southampton has been arrested for suspicion of attempted rape and attempted robbery in connection with the incident.

Anyone with more information is asked to contact Detective Sergeant Paul Harrison from the Western Investigation Team on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.

News Editor for the Wessex Scene 2013 - 2015. I lead the news section, consistently providing the website with up-to-date news content. I am experienced in researching, reporting, writing and editing breaking news stories.