Southampton Named UK’s ‘Most Neighbourly City’

0

Southampton has been named the UK’s most neighbourly city in a survey conducted to mark ‘Love Your Neighbour’ week.

90% of Southampton residents who responded to the survey, conducted by chocolate manufacturer Lily O’Brien’s said that they considered their neighbours as friends, compared to only 75% of residents in Glasgow.

The Outer Avenue area in Bevois Valley has been cited as an example of good community cohesion. Inhabited by a mixture of permanent residents and students, the area’s Resident’s Association regularly holds a variety of events as a community such as litter picks and street parties to welcome new student residents to the area.

John Hayward, chairman of Outer Avenue Resident’s Association, told the Daily Echo:

From a personal point of view it makes a big difference, my wife and I have got to know lots of people we would have never met.

It is nice to walk around and see the students clean and see the planting going on and to feel like you are supporting each other.

Southampton residents currently have the opportunity to also share what they love about their city as part of the University’s #LoveSouthampton competition.

Deputy Editor 2017-18, International Editor 2015-17. Languages student adjusting to being back in the UK after a year in Chile. Interested in Latin America, world news, media and politics.