Southampton student awaits debut in FIFA Women’s World Cup

It’s not every day that you can say you have a friend who’s an international football star, but many within the University of Southampton can say just that. Current Economics student, Ini-Abashi Umotong is expected to make her World Cup debut tonight against the USA at the Women’s World Cup in Canada. In the regular playing season,  the 21-year old  doubles as a forward for the Portsmouth Ladies FC where she scored 29 goals in the last season. Nearly 1 billion are people expected watch the FIFA Women’s World Cup on TV from Canada.

Speaking of her achievements, Ini said:

“It’s an incredible feeling to know I’ll be representing Nigeria at a World Cup. It still feels like a dream, one I’ll be trying to make last for as long as possible this summer.”

The Head of the Department of Economics, Professor Jean-Yves Pitarakis said of Ini,

“This is a highly rigorous and quantitatively oriented programme. It is a remarkable achievement for someone to be able to juggle the demands of competition level sport and the academic pressures that come with a very demanding university degree programme. We wish Ini-Abashi great success in her sporting career and look forward to continue supporting her in her studies.”

Following an initial 3-3 draw against Sweden and a 2-0 loss against Australia in which Ini-Abashi was an unused substitute, it is highly expected that she will see some game time against the USA, as Nigeria attempt to achieve the unlikely of getting out of Group D.

Quotes taken from

Jack Pethick. Sport Editor 2014-2016. Third-Year History student. Mainly write for the Sport section but dabble in writing News and Features. General Armchair pundit and lover of all things Sport. #WouldDoABetterJobThanCarragher