University of Southampton set for £15m cancer treatment boost

Senior researchers at the University of Southampton are to receive a multi-million pound cash boost to help develop better cancer treatments.

The team will share the money with other researchers around the UK, after a Cancer Research UK awards scheme allocated the funds to help develop new pathology and image analysis techniques for solid tumours.

Scientists from the university will contribute to one of a number of potential centres in a project led by Queens University Belfast and supported by Newcastle, Manchester and University College, London.

Professor of Experimental Pathology at the University of Southampton, Gareth Thomas, spoke of the need to continue the modernisation process.

“As we move towards an era of personalised medicine, the ability to accurately select patients likely to benefit from a particular cancer treatment is becoming an essential requirement of clinical practice.

“This program aims to develop automated digital pathology approaches to circumvent these issues; strengthening the existing digital pathology infrastructure across centres, establishing and standardising digital pathology and image analysis approaches, and consolidating strategically important links with other CRUK centres to establish national leadership in this field”.

Dr David Scott, Cancer Research UK’s director of science funding hailed the initiative.

“Effective partnerships are crucial for delivering the greatest science and boosting advancements in fighting cancer.

“We’re proud to invest in collaborative and innovative research across the UK with the new Centres Network Accelerator awards. It’s through working together and uniting expertise that we will do better research and save more lives”.

The £15m award will build on Southampton’s expertise in cancer immunology, with the Belfast-Southampton partnership aiming to be a first for molecular pathology integration within CRUK Centres.

News Editor 2015/16