University of Southampton Professor Receives New Year Honour

0

Professor of Computer Science, Nick Jennings, has been made Companion of the Order of Bath by royal decree in the 2016 New Year’s Honours List. He received the accolade for services to computer science and national security science.

Jennings had recently completed a six year stint as the Chief Scientific Advisor to the UK Government in the area of National Security, and is the UK’s only Regius Professor in Computer Science – a prestigious title awarded to Southampton by The Queen to mark her Diamond Jubilee. Professor Jennings, who is head of Electronics and Computer Science at the University, spoke of his pride at receiving the award.

I am delighted to receive such an award and feel it is recognition for the excellent teams I have worked with, both in the University and in Government. It’s been a real privilege to see fledgling ideas pulled through into real-world applications in both role.

A leading pioneer in the fields of artificial intelligence, autonomous systems and agent-based computers, Professor Jennings has also helped ensure that the best possible use of science and technology is made for national security purposes.

The Vice-Chancellor, Christopher Snowden said:

“I am delighted that the unique contribution Nick has made through his research is being recognised with this prestigious honour.

“He richly deserves it for his personal achievements but it is also an honour for the University of Southampton”.

News Editor 2015/16