Southampton Places Top 10 in New League Table

0

The University of Southampton has placed ninth in the UK and 24th in Europe in the 2016 Nature Index Tables.

The table measures contribution to high-quality science papers across 68 leading natural science journals, including Nature.

Southampton also placed sixth in the UK, and ninth in Europe for Earth and Environmental Sciences.  They also placed 13th in Europe and sixth in the UK for Physical Sciences; and 10th in the UK for Chemistry.

Southampton was also second for the highest amount of growth overall, increasing the number of papers published by 9% in the last four years.

Professor Tim Elliott, the University’s Interim Pro Vice-Chancellor (Research) said:

Our performance in the Nature Index Tables is a great reflection of our national and international reputation for research by the University of Southampton in the natural sciences and a strong indicator of the quality, reach and impact of that research as published in these world’s leading journals.

Of all the papers in the journal citing the University of Southampton, over 74% featured international collaboration, cementing Southampton’s place as one of the most international Universities in the world.

Editor 2015-16. Politics Editor 2014-15. Third year Politics and Economics student, I've written for every section but primarily write politics, opinion and news pieces. I also write for The Edge, Kettle Mag, The National Student, The Student Times and the Independent and do lots of work with Surge Radio.