BREAKING – A Bastille Day like no other

0

Yesterday, in the French town of Nice a lorry ripped through crowds of people who were celebrating the annual holiday Bastille Day (France’s National Day). 

The lorry zigzagged through crowds for 2km at 50mph, who were standing on the Promenade des Anglais around 23:00 local time. It is reported, by the Prosecutor Jean-Michel Pretre, that the driver was open firing at the crowd.  Authorities have reported that the driver was shot dead.

The Promenade del Anglais where the attacks took place. By Dmytro Rodionov, Dortmund - Own work, CC BY-SA 2.5, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=1133617
The Promenade des Anglais where the attacks took place.
By Dmytro Rodionov, Dortmund 

It is being treated as a terrorist attack; although, no group has claimed responsibility for the attack.

The French President commented the the attack was a ‘monstrosity’ and has confirmed that 84 people were killed and 50 were injured, including 18 people critically injured.

There are rumours in the French media that the person who undertook the attack is a 31 year old citizen of Nice, who has dual French-Tunisian nationality.

At 9am this morning, Hollande (the French President) will hold an emergency security and defence meeting in Avignon. Afterwards, he will travel to Nice.

Wessex Scene will keep you updated as the story progresses.

Deputy Editor 2016 -2017. I'm a Geography student here at Southampton. Also, an avid adventurer; who is always up for discovering somewhere whether it's new or old.